Last updated: 7 July 2020
This guide is also available in Italian, French, Spanish, German, and Arabic.
Welcome to Team.video! This guide will help you get acquainted with video meetings on team.video. If you’re new here, start in this article—it has everything you need to know to host or attend your first meeting. Further articles will help you become a pro.
In this article:
- Supported devices + network requirements
- Joining a meeting
- Creating an account
- Starting a meeting
- Meeting basics
Supported devices + network requirements
Team.Video runs entirely in the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari), and does not require any downloads or plug-ins.
Team.Video works on Apple phones and tablets using Safari, and on Android phones and tablets using Chrome.
Joining a meeting
With team.video you don’t have to log in or sign up to join a meeting!
- Open the invite link in a supported browser
- Enable your camera & video by accepting the browser requests
- Add a name/nickname if you’d like
- Press 'Enter meeting'
Creating an account
Creating an account gives you access to all of our features and lets you pick a custom domain to ensure the privacy of your meetings. You’ll be able to create a workspace, invite members and schedule meetings.
- Select “create account” from our homepage or follow this link
- Enter your email address or sign up with Google
- If you chose to sign up with your email address, check your email for a magic link, from team.video
- Click the magic link!
Your first workspace
- Choose a name for your workspace - this can be the name of your company, your name or anything you like. It will always be included in your meeting URL. workspacename.team.video/[meetingname]
- You can invite team members to join your workspace now or do that part later. You’ll be able to host meetings and invite friends and coworkers whether or not you invite them to join your workspace
- Add emails in ‘invite via email field’ and press invite OR
- Enable the link to copy and paste the invite wherever you’d like
- If you invite members by email they will show up in the members section, press done to finish set up!
- If you invite by link, hit ‘just me for now’ once you’ve copied your link to finish set up!
Starting a meeting
We want starting a meeting to be as easy as possible and we’ve given you options! The simplest way is described here. To learn how to start meetings even faster visit the integrations article.
- The purple section at the top of your homepage is for starting an instant meeting
- Simply type a meeting title in the text field (it will be pre-populated with a random meeting name like elated-mendel which you can use!)
- Hit “start meeting”
- If you haven’t enabled your camera and microphone, allow the browser permissions, the arrows will help you find them
- Hit “enter meeting” to begin the call
Our meeting interface is simple and powerful
- Your basic controls for audio + video are located below the main video streams, this is your main tool bar, to the left you can invite people to the meeting, to the right you may leave the call. You'll also find meeting tools here like recording, screensharing and reactions.
- The sidebar has collaborative tools like chat, notes & agendas. The top section of the agenda sidebar gives you the meeting title, URL, and privacy settings
- hover on someone else's video feed to interact with them (mute, view details, share direct feedback)
What is a workspace?
A workspace is a dedicated place for you and your teammates to come together for your video meetings. From your workspace homepage you can start meetings immediately, join meetings quickly, and call your teammates directly.
When you create a workspace you will be able to claim a custom domain name. For example: yourteam.team.video.
Logged in homepage
Your logged in homepage is your hub for everything workspace related. The image below gives a summary of functions of your workspace, keep reading this article for more in depth guides to each feature.
Inviting workspace members
- Invite collaborators to join your workspace by scrolling to the 'Workspace members' section of your logged in homepage and clicking the tile labeled 'invite your team'
- You will be able to copy an invite link or invite members by email
- You can also invite members by going to 'manage workspace' at the top left of your logged in homepage
Happening now & upcoming meetings
In your logged in homepage—right below the purple section where you start meetings, you'll find upcoming and scheduled meetings.
- Meetings that are currently happening are marked with green and show which workspace members are currently in the meeting
- Upcoming meetings show you how long until they start
- Join an in progress or upcoming meeting by clicking on the meeting tile
- you can view more/all upcoming meetings by clicking view all which will take you to a page of current, upcoming and recent meetings
When you schedule a meeting with team.video, you can connect your Google calendar, prepare an agenda and resources in advance, invite collaborators to work on the agenda with you and save meeting drafs to finish later.
To schedule a meeting
Schedule a meeting by clicking the calendar icon next to the 'start meeting' button in the purple section at the top of your logged in homepage
Click on the 'Schedule a meeting' tile in the upcoming meetings section.
Connect your calendar
- click connect calendar in the banner at the top of the scheduler (currently this only works for Google Calendar)
- Click connect calendar in the window that appears and continue to the google page which will require you to allow Team.video access to your Google Calendar.
Prepare a meeting in advance
- Give the meeting a title.
- Select a date and a time.
- Set a goal for the meeting
- Prepare an agenda — add items and descriptions, set timers and assign agenda items to workspace members
- Add resources — upload images and documents by clicking the paperclip icon and links by clicking the link icon and pasting a URL into the box that appears
- Set room permissions — Choose from workspace room, hidden, or public.
- Invite guests — Click in the email field beneath ‘invite guests’ to see a list of workspace members or to add contacts from your google contacts
Invite collaborators to help prepare the agenda
- click on the 3-dot menu at the top of the scheduler next to the purple 'create meeting' button.
- select 'copy a link to this page' and share the link with whoever you would like to contribute to the agenda
Safe as a draft
- All changes to the meeting draft will be safed automatically
- If you do not choose to set a date and time for the meeting, the draft will remain in your upcoming meetings as a draft until you set a date and time
- Call a workspace member directly by scrolling to the 'workspace members' section of your logged in homepage
- Click the video icon next to the name of the person you wish to call
- If they are logged into team.video they will receive a notification that you're calling them
- If you wish to call multiple people at once:
- Select a workspace member by clicking their name tile
- Select a second member + as many members as you'd like to call
- You can change the title of your meeting by editing the stand in title 'Let's talk'
- Click 'start meeting' to begin the call
A few personal details help everyone get to know eachother a little better–especially when we're all remote!
- When you join your first meeting you'll be prompted to introduce yourself and add a few details like your pronouns, location & job role
- You can update and edit your details from your account page OR when you're in a meeting by clicking the edit icon next to your details on your feed
- View details about other members of your workspace by:
- Clicking on the info icon on their feeds when you are in a call with them
- Scrolling to the 'workspace members' section of your logged in home page and clicking on the info icon next to someone's name
- Find your recent meetings by scrolling to the bottom of your logged in homepage
- View past meetings that you attended or missed
- Find the agenda, resources, notes and any recordings for each meeting
Managing your workspace
- Clicking on the gear icon at the top of your logged in homepage takes you to the workspace management page
- Click on your team icon to update the image
- Click edit next to your team name to edit your workspace name, this will change your custom domain and break any existing meeting links
- Invite new workspace members, view current members and remove members by clicking the 3-dot menu icon to the right of a members name.
- Manage/remove integrations by clicking the 3-dot menu to the right of the integration
- You may leave a workspace here as well
Leaving a workspace
- From your logged in homepage select 'manage workspace' at the top left of your window
- Scroll to the bottom of the manage workspace page and select 'leave workspace' under 'workspace access'
- Once you leave a workspace you will need an invite to rejoin
Camera & mic
- From the settings menu in the left hand sidebar of your call, you can change the input and output devices for your audio and video.
- You can also enter 'bandwidth saver mode' which will turn off your own video camera streams in order to save your battery, cpu, and bandwidth resources.
- Share your screen by clicking on the icon to the left of the mute button at the bottom of your meeting
- You will be prompted to select a specific window or app to share, or just go with your whole screen!
- In Google chrome the selection options will be tabbed
- The first selected tab has the option to share your entire screen, to go with this click on the image of your entire screen and hit share
- To share a specific application or tab (for more privacy) click on one of those tabs, select the app or tab you'd like to share and hit the blue share button. (it will only be blue if a selection has been made)
- to stop sharing locate the chrome banner and click 'stop' or return to your team.video meeting tab and click the screenshare button (it will be green now) again.
- Multiple participants can simultaneously share their screens during a meeting, without the need to coordinate with one another. The shared screen appears as a video feed—click on it to make it bigger.
- You can zoom inside the shared screen by scrolling on your mouse or trackpad. You can also pan around by clicking and dragging the screenshare.
Room access permissions/room privacy settings
Choose between three levels of access permissions for your meeting room: hidden, workspace, and public.
- Hidden room: does not appear on your homepage, workspace members need the URL to join, logged out users cannot access the room.
- Workspace room: can be viewed by workspace members on the homepage. Logged out users need to request access to the meeting. Anyone in the meeting can accept or reject their request to enter.
- Public room: anyone with the link can join, including guests who do not have a team.video account. Guests have access to all features except recording, and can invite others.
To select a privacy setting for a meeting:
- In the meeting sceduler find Room permissions on the right side of the tool
- In a meeting, locate the small lock icon next to the title of the meeting in the info/agenda tab of the sidebar
Convey the goals, topics for discussion, resources, and attendee responsibilities to meeting participants.
- Everyone in the meeting can add/edit the agenda items
- Agenda’s can be prepared in advance using the meeting scheduler
- Add/edit the meeting title, goal, resources, and agenda topics while in the meeting by opening the agenda sidebar
Agenda items :
- Add an agenda topic title and description, by clicking the placement item text (Agenda item 1,2 etc) and editing the text, the description text sits just below the title
- Set the time expected for each agenda item in minutes by clicking the '0 mins' place holder
- Assign teammates to agenda items by clicking the 3-dot menu next to an agenda iteam and choosing 'assign member'(they do not get a notification)
- Start and stop timer to keep track of minutes spent on each agenda item by pressing the 'play' and 'stop' icons next to the agenda item minutes
- When the agenda sidebar is closed the current agenda item is displayed at the top of your screen
You can view a meeting’s agenda after the meeting has ended by going to your recent meetings on your homepage or the meetings listing and clicking on the agenda button for that meeting
- You can add files as resources by clicking on the paper clip icon to the right of the "Resources" header, OR you can drag and drop the file into the browser window
- Upload any file type (like pdf, png, doc, ppt) with a file size limit of 40M
- Add a link by clicking the link icon and pasting the url in the box provided
You can view a meeting’s resources after the meeting has ended by going to your recent meetings on your homepage or the meetings listing and clicking on the resources button for that meeting
Take collaborative notes in real-time without having to share your screen or use another app by using the in-app notes feature
- Everyone in the meeting can see the notes, there are no privacy options
- Notes are automatically saved to the meeting and can be exported to Google Docs at anytime by clicking the down arrow next to the notes title and selecting ‘export to google docs’
- Links added to notes will open a link in a new tab/window
- For standard text styling in Notes, use the formatting toolbar at the bottom of the panel, or use the following keyboard shortcuts:
- The first line of the note automatically becomes the title of the tab, you can edit it
- Ctrl-B for Bold
- Ctrl-I for Italics
- Open and close square brackets [ ] for checkbox
- You can view a meeting’s notes after the meeting has ended by going to your recent meetings on your homepage or the meetings listing and clicking on the notes button for that meeting
Send messages and files to the entire group within the meeting.
- All attendees can see all the messages sent
- Chat history is automatically saved
- There is no way to delete or edit messages right now
- Upload any file type (including pdf, png, doc, ppt) with a file size limit of 40M. Either click on the paper clip icon in the text box, or drag and drop the file into the text box.
- Links can be shared in chat and will open in a new tab
Participants & Speaker stats
View a list of all the participants in the meeting, manage muting and view speaking minutes in ‘speaker stats’ and invite people to join the meeting
- Navigate to the participants sidebar
- Mute or unmute participants by clicking the mute icon next to their name
- View speaker stats to see which participant has spoken the most
- Invite participants to join the meeting
Have a little fun and strengthen relationships with your team by playing a word game together while you wait for your meeting to start.
- Guess words by using your keyboard to type them out or by clicking on each letter. Letter tile colors indicate groups words of the same length.
- Use the Swap icon on the left to rearrange your tiles.
- Press enter to submit a guess.
- You can exit the game and start the meeting any time you'd like by clicking the "Start meeting" button at the top.
- Press “finish” to reveal the answers.
- Share reactions without having to unmute or interrupt with emoji feedback.
- Raise your hand or set an away or just listening status
- Share direct feedback to an individual publicly or privately
- Public reactions are shown on your video stream for 5 sec, extend the length of the reaction by clicking the timer next to the displayed reaction
- Status’ remain until you remove them
- Direct feedback (public & private) is displayed in a banner at towards the bottom of your screen
Recording is an experimental feature that may have bugs and rough edges.
- To start a recording click the circular button at the very left of the centered controls at the bottom of your meeting screen
- click the button again to end the recording
- you can make multiple recordings in a meeting
- Anyone in the meeting can start and stop recordings from either mobile/desktop.
- The recording is only accessible by users who were in the meeting. They can be accessed from the homepage, or from the “view recordings” page in your account menu. From there they can be downloaded and shared.
Start meetings right from Slack channels and direct messages using the /tv command
Connecting to Slack
- From your logged in homepage locate 'Manage workspace' at the top of your screen (in the purple section at the top)
- Scroll down to integrations and connect to your Slack workspace
- type '/tv' into a Slack channel or direct message and press return to create a meeting based on the name of the channel or direct message
- type '/tv meeting title' to create a meeting with a specific link
These commands will create a link to your team.video meeting in the Slack channel or direct message, clicking on the link will open the meeting in your default browser
Sync meetings, participants, and agendas with your Google Calendar
Once your Google calendar is synced with team.video:
- Meetings scheduled on team.video will automatically appear on your Google calendar
- Adding a team.video URL to your Google calendar event will sync the meeting with your upcoming meetings in your team.video workspace
- Creating a team.video meeting using our chrome extension will sync the meeting with your upcoming meetings in your team.video workspace
Install the team.video extension from the Chrome web store.
- Create or schedule meetings directly from your browser by clicking on the team.video extension, and either clicking start meeting to create one on the spot or the clicking the calendar icon to schedule a meeting
- Add team.video links to your meetings in Google Calendar by using the team.video button in the google calendar meeting scheduler tool
||Turn the camera on or off.|
||Turn the microphone on or off.|
||Hold down the spacebar while your mic is turned off to temporarily unmute yourself|
||Toggle “raise hand” status.|
||Toggle “just listening” status.|
||Toggle “away” status.|
||“thumbs up” reaction.|
||“thumbs down” reaction.|
||“I’m conflicted” reaction.|
||“I defer” reaction.|
||Start the game.|
||View how long each participant has spoken in the meeting.|
||Dismiss modal dialogs.|